Thursday, December 13, 2007

My 2008 planned shopping spree

In the photo are ALL the things I plan to buy next year, excluding food and train, bus, plane or movie tickets as needed. And of course gifts, but slowly, I am converting my friends to the idea of giving to charity or letting me give to their favourite charity.

After 20 years, my boots are almost ready to be retired. I’ve seen the type I want and will pick them up in the January sales. These boots have done a lot of walking in the US, UK, Scotland, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Spain. They have slogged through the rain and snow and also on dry pavements on sunny days. They’ve lived in Boston, Toulouse, Môtiers, Payerne, Geneva and Argelès. They’ve been shined up to be dressy and mud caked when the spring thaw comes and when there’s no sensible alternative but to plow through a meadow coming alive with flowers.

The pen has written lists, poems, ideas for short stories, checks (but only in the US and France—Switzerland doesn’t use checks), notes and from time to time it has even done a rough sketch. I bought it for its rich dark blue that reminds me of an iridescent midnight and love the way it feels in my hand. But for some reason, it no longer lets the ink flow, although I’ve changed the cartridge. When I go to France, I will go to the stationary store and find a new pen. Maybe this time I will buy a multi-coloured one, or a ruby red one to match my birthstone. I will know it when I see it. I only want only one pen, one that is special one that will be with me a long, long, long time. Pens that transmit my ideas and thoughts must not be selected lightly.

The agenda is a student’s agenda running from September to August. I used to keep the information on line, but most of the additions to it were done when I was with people and I sometimes forgot to update when I was home again. This agenda I like for its coloured pages. I will not have to buy one until the end of the year because I was given an agenda in soft brown leather, which will carry me through until the end of the year.

I have everything else I want and need including enough paper. I have one pencil. I have more than enough clothes that I love. I even suspect because my pantyhose last so long, spring will come long before they need to be replaced. There is still the possibility I may get one or two more years out of them.

Of course if my computer or an appliance breaks down, I will have to replace it. If a light bulb stops lighting, I will buy a new light bulb, but I look forward to a shop-free year in 2008. I may also need batteries for my camera, but then again I can recharge the ones I have.
Although I am a writer and appreciate the need to buy books, the library supplies 99% of my reading needs when it comes to books. The internet matches 100% when it comes to newspapers and magazines.

And then again, maybe I will take the boots to the cobblers for new soles. Maybe the toes will be able to have taps put on them where they are beginning to wear. In a way I feel if I replace them it is like a wife deserting a loyal husband for a flashy new man.

No comments: