Monday, December 24, 2007

What is it about George Clooney

I give up. I can’t figure out what makes 99% of the female population of the planet with access to movies or television drool over George Clooney. And I am part of that 99%.
The Geneva Gare Cornavin has posters of his Omega ad in strategic places and I’ve observed more than one female slow their pace, and cock their heads. Even women coming from the opposite direction will turn around and walk backwards a couple of steps.
On the way into the movies, the woman in front of me said to her friend, “I hope they show the Clooney ad.” The full length Nespresso ad has been running in many of the theatres, probably half advertising revenues and half a present to female customers.
See: www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RtUJwLl-s&feature=related
Although he is good looking, good looks and Hollywood actors are not a rare combination. Watching the rolling credits of Michael Clayton with the close up of his face, I can see he is aging, but well. His eyes aren’t identical. I prefer blue eyes to brown. Nothing there answers the questions what it is about him…
But then again, when he appears on a talk show he appears intelligent, funny and fun loving. That he could mourn the passing of his pet pig makes him sympathetic. That he takes a stance on political issues such a Dafur or does films like Good Night and Good Luck mark him as more than a pretty face.
Year ago when John Kennedy was still a Massachusetts senator he rode by in a Fourth of July Parade in Wakefield MA and despite being from a fanatic Republican family I felt as if I were drawn into his car. A friend, who saw Bill Clinton ride by and waved, said she felt pulled into him. People call it charisma, but no one has yet to define it for Clooney or anyone.
I would love to meet Clooney, believe it or not, to talk to. I want to ask him how it feels to be such a sex symbol. But I also want to ask him about Syriana, his writing, his political work. My only problem, should that happen, I would spoil my questions when drool made my chin look shiny.

No comments: