Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Taxi drivers




I collect taxi drivers. Or at least memories of them.

I enjoy talking with them and finding out whatever I can. Of course none can top M. Kamalt, the Algerian who used to take me from my friend’s house in Paris to whatever train station or airport I was going to. We had so many conversations on all topics imaginable and once even he telephoned his sister to introduce us. He’s no longer around working another area. Sigh.

I had a driver in Berlin who sang opera to me, and one of five Greek taxi drivers who could have auditioned for the father’s role in My Fat Greek Wedding.

The taxi waiting line at Gare du Lyon was long and it was raining. My taxi driver this time was from the Ivory Coast and he had a program about Burkina Faso on the radio. He had been a teacher but when he moved to France he couldn’t transfer his credentials.

Another driver to my collection.

1 comment:

charlie gill said...

Our company is one of the best companies. We have many fabulous silver cabs, which you can trust completely and book easily for your trips.
taxi with child seat Melbourne