Tuesday, February 12, 2013

To Paris by train



The view from the TGV window from Geneva to Paris

The French train system is totally weird. If I buy a ticket Geneva to Paris and take the train Geneva to Belgarde, get off and get on the TGV Geneva/Paris train that left Geneva about 45 minutes after the Geneva to Belgrade train it’s 30 CHF less. And the train Belgarde to Geneva is the same train I would have been on if I’d taken if from Geneva to Belgarde, stayed on until Paris and paid 30 CHF more.

Is that clear? 

So of course, I chose the cheaper option. EXCEPT the Geneva Belgarde train didn’t come and I ended up on the 30 CHF more expensive train in the seat I’d reserved from Belgarde to Paris.

I like the one constant fare in the Swiss system, 50% off with the annual or tri annual abonnement no matter what time or day.

With the French system time of days, time of purchase and probably what sweater I’m wearing all influence the price. 

Once on a TGV to Paris an American woman was furious that the group was in second class when they'd been promised first class. "The view is better in first class," she kept saying.

The view on this ride was beautiful with the snow-covered pines and little villages.
  


No comments: