Sunday, July 21, 2013

Lush summer lunchtimes

The French country side is so lush. Between the rain and heat every thing is so green. Grapes, corn and other unidentifiable crops are pushing their way up. The major hail storm that destroyed so much in Geneva, didn't make it across the border.

Each village has planted do many flowers that eyes almost get tired looking at all the colours.


Although the original idea was to look at couches in France and afterwards eat at the Chinese buffet, sheer summer laziness and the fact that both my housemate and I were writing so well, gave way to just the idea of going to France for just the buffet.

Compared to my first Chinese buffet in Florida near my stepmom's house, this buffet has about 25% of the offerings. Still there is far more that anyone person can possibly eat. For me the treats are noodles, shrimp, noodles, onion rings, noodles, veggies, noodles, chicken wings, noodles, onion rings, noodles, rice and did I say noodles.

My housemate has a different set of priorities, but we still find room from dessert.


Although it is not Chinese, I always go for île flottante (recipe www.francethisway.com/frenchrecipes/frenchileflottante.php) also known as oeufs à la neige. This time I added a small slice of watermelon. Even after several decades I still remember how upset my mother was when my brother and I shot watermelon seeds and they stuck to the kitchen ceiling. Watermelon was banished from the house for the rest of the summer.

Just another of those lovely days.




No comments: