Friday, July 26, 2013

What a way to spend a birthday

"Happy birthday to you," the song was sung in full by the anesthetist and his Australian assistant--or I think in full -- as I went under.

The operation they estimated would take 3 hours took 36 minutes. Up until the last strains of "...birthday to you." I was thinking of backing out, but in retrospect since that they found bone chips floating around near my eye, it is a good thing I didn't.

I'm still in love with HUG...

Patrick the first nurse assigned to me up to Angelina the last were wonderful. My 84 year old roommate recovering from cancer and an embolism was an inspiration.

They weren't sure which doctor would operate because of the emergencies but all came to see me before so I would know them. They all told me the same story of what they would do to me, which built confidence. At the end it was the Swiss German of Serbian descent. Dr. Stonefire, the original surgeon scheduled and who'd been operating all night explained he felt too tired to do a good job but wanted to reassure me about the competencies of his colleagues. I wasn't worried about that.

Every time I went from one doctor or nurse to another I had to give my name and birthdate which they checked against my name bracelet and the folders they had. This is good. A guarantee they would not operate on my knee instead of my face.

But then Patrick had put an X on my right cheek. Rick asked if he could draw a complete treasure map.

Anyway, it's over. I'm home but with amazing little energy and also almost no pain. Just looking like a lopsided chipmunk. Maybe Chip and Dale want a friend.


3 comments:

janet said...

So happy it went well. Not the best way to spend your birthday.

Susanne said...

Really glad it went well - now give your self time (and permission to take that time) to get over the anaesthetic, it's no good rushing these things.

B. WHITTINGTON said...

So sorry you had to go through that. Not fun. Happy you are home and hopefully mending.
We've had various health issues this past year and I'm praying they are behind us. WE're both much better and it feels good.
Take care of you. B