Saturday, August 17, 2013

The letter


As I was making breakfast, Petite Cougar jumped off the shelf. It was the first time since Scooby left and she'd seen the photo of him with Leopard Lady that her tears had stopped.

"May I borrow a pen and paper?" she asked.

When I got my regular felt tip pen she asked, "Would you mind if I used your special silver and green plume pen?"

At this point, I'd do about anything to make her feel better. She'd been moping for a man not worthy of her. Those Hollywood stars are all to into themselves, but she was too young and innocent to realize that. A first love, is always just that...we are all without any of the emotional protections we earn as we go through life.

I went back to making breakfast.

"Is scum bag one of two words?" she called from the table where she'd set herself up.

"I'm not sure," I said.

Eventually she asked for an envelope. I wanted to read the letter, but didn't want to invade her privacy. However, she handed it to me to read.

Not so dear Scooby...

You are scumbag. I don't say this lightly. You promised to love me forever and just days after you went back to Geneva you found another cat and a leopard, for God sakes.  I thought you had more taste than that.

You have made a big mistake and you will live to regret it.

Petite Cougar (no longer you're "little pussy cat")

I didn't want to tell her that maybe green ink wasn't such a good choice. Green is colour of jealousy.

"Are you going to mail it?" I asked as she struggled with her little paws to get it into an envelope. She just smiled and jumped back on the shelf, putting the envelope next to her. Within minutes she was asleep. I thought I heard her mumbling about revenge in her sleep, but I was probably mistaken.



No comments: