Saturday, December 21, 2013

A warm bed for the solstice

A couple of years back I returned to Geneva to find a wonderful thing under my sheet: an electric bed warmer. My thoughtful housemate had added them to all the beds in the house which has warmed not just heart cockles of guests but entire bodies and ohs and ahs of appreciation from anyone who has had the snuggle pleasure on a cold winter night.

Now granted, the nights in southern France are not usually as cold as in Geneva are but still crawling into a cold bed, is less than wonderful.

Over the past few days I've been in bed with a miserable cold and cough. My chest feels as if I've done 1,000 pushups. It means we have to cancel our tree trimming party to celebrate my favourite night of the year, the winter solstice when the sun starts its annual return to longer days. As much as there is coziness in settling down earlier in the evening with a hot cup of tea. I love thinking that another cycle of the earth has been completed.

The tree I can see on the terrace from my bed and we will still decorate it.

However, when done and I crawl back into bed, I've a new treat. Rick went on an electric sheet safari, armed with his French dictionary. He came back with the warmer.

I have a wonderful housemate. I have a wonderful husband. I have a wonderful toasty bed in two countries. These are the true Christmas gifts on the longest night of the year.


No comments: