Monday, December 02, 2013

Supporting the library



The English Library in Geneva is a godsend. I could never support my reading habit if I had to buy English books in Geneva bookstores, although my reading is down to one or two books a week against my formerly three to six. And yes, I do read on Kindle too.

Located in the American Church it brings back the coziness of the Parker Street Branch of the Boston Public Library where Priscilla, the librarian always knew what I liked to read and told me about new books that were in. When I was doing research, she was always happy to search for information.

Likewise, when I go into the library, the volunteers know me, ask me about my writing and we chat a bit. There is a warmth that makes my day a little bit better.


Unfortunately the library is falling on hard times as memberships fall off. Unless memberships and donations increase they may have to close, a shame after 80 years of bringing reading to the Anglophone community of Geneva.

They do carry my books, but that isn't the reason I'd like them to stay open. And the egg salad sandwiches and the pastries at the twice annual sales would be sorely missed.

So anyone in Geneva who loves to read, please think about taking out a membership AND supporting their twice a year bookstore. A donation would not go amiss either.

Please.

No comments: