Saturday, January 03, 2015

Bombs and bride

My friend made a beautiful bride and I am so grateful to her brother for posting this photo so I could see it.

Earlier she had written about bombs and rockets going off, not in celebration but because the wedding was in Damascus. I wish I had been there, but I was too cowardly for the land trip necessary through the war zone from Lebanon to Damascus and because the Damascus airport is not useable.

Each day I check Facebook with a sense of relief when I see her brother, sister, friends posting ordinary things in extraordinary times. They are alive.

These are people I have met over the years in Damascus, Geneva and Paris. These are people who welcomed me into their homes, family and culture. We've shared meals and maté, stories and sightseeing, laughter and living. These are people who should not be the pawns of politicians of nations.

But for a short moment yesterday, this wonderful woman, who carries my love and deepest respect possible, became a bride like all brides through time.





No comments: