Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Multi national news -- a plea



I've long maintained anyone who does not seek news from many countries doesn't know what is happening in the world. If a cable station doesn't carry other international news sources, at least it can be found on the Internet. Most major international outlets have English varieties.

This morning, check various sources I found the lead stories varied from country to country. Here's the lead list:
  • North East US blizzard
  • President of Venezuela firing her intelligence service after murder
  • Boko Haram
  • 70th Anniversary of Auschwictz
  • Justice department spying on millions of US drivers
  • Greek election
  • Euro drop
  • Ukraine attacks
It proves my point that any one news station or paper does not tell a complete story. To be an informed citizen it is necessary to work hard.

Why bother?

Because it is the future of our children, grandchildren and the planet as we head into the Neo Medieval period.

Note: CNN has been moved on our cable and we can't find it, but we look at it for plane crash news. I do check the CNN national and international websites.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

But in can depend on how reliable your source is. I knew about all but 2 and 4 on your list and my main source of new is BBC radio and a small amount of time on their website. (Tend not to do TV news - 24 hour news tends to be about how best to fill the time, regardless of whether what you are being told is relevant or interesting!)

I'm not saying the BBC is perfect - it's domestic political coverage is getting worse and worse - but it does have a fairly good outward looking perspective.

DL NELSON said...

BBC is certainly one of the better ones. They have some incredible reporters. I like Lyse Doucet especially. I used to watch Hardtalk because of the in-depth questions asked. I go on line for a lot of my news as well. I just wish I was more multi-lingual so I could read more than French and English.