Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Really old bread

In my recent move I found the recipe for oatmeal bread that has been in our family since the beginning of the 19th century. 

In France, where bread is wonderful, I don't often make bread but this can't be purchased. I did make bread regularly when I lived in Boston. Kneading was a great way to take out frustrations. Even though I have no frustrations I still enjoy the sensation of kneading.


Scald one cup of oats with two cups of boiling water. add 1 teaspoon of shortening. When cool add 1/2 cup of molasses. Add one yeast cake dissolved in luke warm water. Mix well.

 
 Slowly add 4-5 cups flour.
 Knead the dough on a floured board for at least ten minutes. You will feel the change in its consistency. Make into a ball. Put into a well greased bowl, cover and leave in a warm spot to let rise to double its size.
Punch down and put into a rectangular pan about 3/4's full. Let rise until double. Bake in a pre-heated oven 375°F/190°C for 30-40 minutes or until it sounds hollow when you tap on the middle of the loaf.
We always put some dough aside to fry in a small amount of oil and then eat with maple syrup or honey.

If we were really good, my grandmother would make teddy bears with raisins for eyes.




No comments: