Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Slippers

I am trying to imagine St. Petersburg with the snow that the news says has fallen.

My memories are of warm days, gold leaf, ballet, a river ride, the door where Rasputin escaped and the hostessing by a friend who invited us into her home and then made sure that we experienced as many wonders of her city that it was possible to see feeding my love of art, history and beauty.

She also bought slippers to wear in the house, which I still treasure today and not just because dusty rose is my favorite color. I look at them and am grateful each time how a chance meeting evolved into much, much more.

The slippers are in Geneva, but there is a new challenge.

Sherlock.

He wants those slippers and if I slip them off to put on shoes, he appears sometimes from nowhere and grabs them. We race around the flat, he shaking that slipper as if it were an animal caught by one of his ancestors.

To date, the slippers remain unharmed.

I am careful to leave them out of puppy mouth reach. I don't have a photo of him with the slipper. I am too busy trying to catch him.


No comments: