Friday, July 22, 2022

Corn on the cob

 


One thing that I will never NOT miss in summer, is corn on the cob--New England corn.

In summer I would call home as I was about to leave work and make sure my daughter had hot water on the store. I'd stop at Aunt Sadie's and buy cobs that had been on the stalk a few short hours or less before. As soon as I was in the door the corn would be shucked, cooked and we'd be munching away. The foie gras or caviar  of a summer evening would not match the luxury.

For years my French German and Swiss neighbors thought of corn as cow food. If it were to be eaten at all, it should come in a can, with a scantily clad man dressed all in green. Eventually, corn appeared on the cob at the grocery. Neither was really worth eating.

On our last trip to New England as we were driving through the countryside, Rick took a sudden right. He literally bought us the last corn of the season. Once when he flew back from the states, a couple of ears fell into his suitcase. We ate them immediately.

Every Friday, a local farmer sets up a stand to sell veggies. He also has a once a week delivery service with a surprise assortment of fruits and vegetables, and although the discovery of this and that was fun, we found we were less apt of waste anything if we went and picked up the veggies ourselves.

So today as I was buying my baby potatoes, tomatoes and coriander,  I saw the ears. in their glorious yellow kernels and green casings. We abandoned plans for lunch out and within a very short time were munching away.

It was a close to New England corn as I've found. Life is so so so good.

 

No comments: