Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Bye bye Jeans

 

 


It's time to get rid of my jeans. I did everything I could to save them. Because I don't like the torn jeans look, I had patches to reinforce the holes. However, the past week more and more holes appeared. 

Those jeans and I have done a lot of living together from walks, movies, vacations. They've traveled with me to Ireland, Iceland, Germany, Scotland, Ireland, Boston, around Switzerland and around France.

They've been dressed up with blouses and suit jackets. They've been dressed down with t-shirts, sweaters and sweat shirts.

I've never been a fashion slave. When I like an item of clothing, I keep it until it wears out. A favorite went from seventh grade until my mid 40s. It was a brown watch wool skirt with three half pleats in the front. I still miss it.

Clothing can be updated with a scarf or some other accessory. Hem lengths can be changed so I don't look like stepped out of a time machine.

None of this means I don't like pretty clothes. I do. However having to go into a store and shuffle through racks and racks of clothes, then try them on is pure torture.

 I have found some great outfits in the French marchés like a green suede suit. The price of 35 Euros made buying it a no-brainer. I'm sure that same suit in a Geneva store would run four figures. 

Since I no longer go to an office, I'm more apt to wear fun clothes, long skirts, bulky sweaters, jeans, etc. I try and be color co-ordinated even if I am staying home. Partially for me, partially for Rick, partially in case George Clooney showed up at my door asking for directions. He did that in Italy once much to the shock of the woman who answered the door. 

I now will need a new pair of jeans. There is a jeans store below the Vielle Ville in Geneva. But with the canicule (heat wave) going into the city is not appealing. Maybe I should wait until the end of the month when hopefully there will be jeans at the marché in Argelès at a low price. If not, I will be back in Geneva at the end of September. 

It isn't just buying jeans. It is looking for something to come and share new adventures, visit other places, keep me warm when I'm curled up with a book, be comfortable when I'm writing. I'm hoping for a long, long relationship.

R.I.P. jeans.

No comments: