Friday, August 26, 2022

The art of café sitting

 


I think I've developed the art of café sitting to an art form.

Stuttgart, Germany

My first was in the 1960s in Stuttgart where my husband was in an Army band. Another army wife, a German girl and I had been to the art museum. She suggested we stop at this café across from the new Schloss

We ordered coffee and a four fruit tarte fierfruchtetorte. I savored each mouthful because the cost represented my entire disposable income for the month. At different times over the years I've returned to that café, taken out the memory of that day and smiled that the torte and coffee no longer represented a major part of my income.

Paris, France

I've been lucky to spend much time in Paris, most of it spent at two different friends' homes. It left me time to do a Hemmingway-Fitzgerald type of café sit. One Parisian explained the high price of Paris coffee as a rental price for the table. Still there is something about sitting there in all seasons (they have wonderful heaters and some even provide blankets). One can watch the locals stream by. I almost expect some film director to yell "CUT" at any moment.

A favorite memory is of a café near Shakespeare's Sister bookstore on a cold, rainy day. A girl friend and I had been to an exhibition of fashion through the ages and we ducked into the café for hot chocolate, which was more chocolatey than those packets served with hot milk in many places.

Geneva, Switzerland


Auer café is tiny and probably hasn't been redecorated in decades, not that it should be. It too has that exceptional hot chocolate. When my daughter lived with me we used to play gin rummy. Loser threw in 10 centimes. We saved up for two hot chocolates, although we could have afforded to go anytime. Saving made it more special. There are mirrors on the wall. I would sometimes go in and read the paper. It was in that café I learned that Arafat had died in a Paris hospital from reading the Tribune de Genève. That day I was drinking tea.

 Argelès-sur-mer

There are several cafés that we stop at for tea, hot chocolate, coffee or wine. Our favorite, especially in the summer, is l'Hostalet. Much like a Brit goes to a pub, we will drift down there many times during the week. 

Sometimes there's entertainment.

Sometimes we find friends.

Sometimes we chat with strangers making new friends.

Sometimes it is just nice to greet the owners and staff.

Lately the owner's pup has been playing with a friend's pup. Their antics leave us giggling. I wish Sherlock would join in, but he's content to sit on Rick's lap watching, above it all.

What's it all for?

  • A café sit is for
  • Relaxation
  • Reading
  • Writing (no rithmetic)
  • Watching the world
  • Chatting with friends
  • Making new friends
  • Enjoying beverages 
  • Nibbling on something good
  • All of the above.



No comments: