Saturday, August 07, 2021

Coke Zero


I've read that Coke Zero is changing its recipe to be more like regular Coke. They are rolling it out in the U.S.

Really?

I'm sure some feisty, young executive came up with the idea. I wonder if s/he heard of the 1985 Coke debacle when they changed the regular Coke recipe calling it New Coke. 

Things did not go well.

Coke executives had thought their rival Pepsi was eating into their market share. They fiddled with the recipe and made a big production of the announcement of New Coke.

Shares fell.

Sales tumbled.

Some 8000 angry calls were registered daily at headquarters.

Demonstrations where people poured new coke in storm drains were held around the country. 

Groups calling themselves Old Cola Drinkers of America were formed.

The executives were shocked. They had performed hundreds of thousands of taste tests. What they hadn't measured was people's loyalty to the old Coke.

Seventy-nine days after New Coke was introduced, executives threw in the towel and went back to the original formula and called it "Classic."

I've adored Coca-Cola since my childhood. My mother would buy six bottles each week, three for me, three for my brother. I would guzzle mine the first day. He rationed his.

As an adult I drank Coke in place of morning coffee and with all my meals. There was no substitute. Only once did I willing drink Pepsi and that was because of politeness to my host who had bought it especially for me. Yuck.

I tried the New Coke. No way José. 

I was one of those angry phone callers. I wrote the company. I wrote their spokesman Bill Cosby asking how could he. I imported the old Coke from Europe both from my trip and when a friend went. I still wonder what the customs people thought, in those pre-terrorism days, when a suitcase had nothing but Coke.

As soon as Classic Coke came on the market, I went back to my old habits.

Eventually I weaned myself from Coke and lost 25 pounds. I allowed myself one a month--oh happy days!!! I'd wake in the morning that I was scheduled for a Coke thinking, today is the day.

I wouldn't keep Coke in the house. I did try Coke Zero and found it ALMOST as good and would have a Coke Zero when I was in a restaurant.

Then I married. My husband stocked Coke Zero. I still try and limit myself to a can, and preferably a mini-can a day. I've learned to substitute juice, water, tea. Instead of drinking a can with popcorn, I'll limit myself to a few sips.

Maybe this is a good time to give up Coke, new old, diet, classic, altogether.



 

 



 




No comments: