Thursday, August 05, 2021

Netflix and News

 


Yesterday I wanted to eat breakfast and watch the news. Every channel I switched to, had adverts. I finished eating before I could find any news just adverts. Annoying at best.

In France we get a zillion channels. We mainly watch the news and Netflix and sometimes a dubbed drama. And Rick likes his golf. 

In Switzerland we get half a zillion channels and mainly watch news and a few dramatic series from the UK. The UK shows have lots of adverts it seems mainly about funerals, life insurance, furniture and diet schemes. Oh yes, river cruises to places we've mostly been.

When I was first in Europe, I watched mainly French stations. I had no choice. They helped my language and my learning about the culture. Adverts tended to be grouped between programs. They went on for long spells giving me time to do the dishes, take a quick shower...you get the idea.

Later, my former housemate and I would go through DVD collections along with great snacks including salmon, shrimp, cheese etc. No adverts.

In France or Switzerland now if it is a dubbed American program, one can see the many original advert interruptions by the way the film was cut and rejoined but no advert until the end. YES!

Now days, if it is a US or British program on French or Swiss television there's often a version originale (VO) option. Okay, I'm lazy and English is easier if I have a choice.

Visiting my daughter in the states, I noticed that programs tended to interrupt the adverts. 

For all the adverts I have watched in the last five years, I've bought one product...a stain removal powder. 

Some nights my husband and I watch Netflix sometimes with popcorn, ice cream or other treats. No adverts. It reinforces how much adverts are annoying and not having them is a pleasure. Yes, I know the economics of TV advertising.

I've come to the conclusion, the best way to avoid the annoying adverts is to give up watching most commercial TV. As I roam through the zillion of choices, I feel bombarded by things I want nothing to do with. They are wasting my time. The pleasure of the show is not enough to balance.




No comments: