Saturday, August 21, 2021

Thoughful gifts

 

Our family specializes in strange gifts. There were years I was thrilled with a certain shampoo. She could get it in the U.S. I couldn't get it in Europe. 

And my Swiss gentleman friend at the time didn't understand why a Larry Bird t-shirt would thrill me instead of a piece of expensive jewelry. The Boston Celtics didn't mean much to him as they did to me and the shirt reminded me of the playoff that I was six rows behind Larry Bird. I could see his sweat. A gift with memories woven into each stitch.

My daughter always gets socks. Until socks got interesting more often than not practical. Now they may have fun design, but we also

Llara had my birthday gift sent to our Geneva home. I often say addresses in France are a suggestion. I was thrilled. Why?

49T is part of our family history. My father received the original license plate from Governor Volpe back in the 1950s. When he moved to Florida, he was able to transfer the plate to me. As soon as he arrived in Florida he asked if her could get 49T for his car. He could.

When he came north for the summer my little car with the plate 49T would be parked behind his huge car with 49T, sorta like a ship and its dingy. 

I moved to Switzerland, but my daughter didn't have a car. I had to turn the license plate in.

Years later when my daughter moved to Virginia, had a car and she asked for an received a license plate 49T.

Thus the T-shirt gift. Another happy memory laden gift.

It isn't the gift. It is the thought. That a person knows you so well that no only did they time and effort to buy a present, but they can bring such pleasure.

I'm hard to buy for. My former housemate, knowing I had five treasured animal-shape paper clips found another set. At a vide grenier (flea market) she found an English style place mat with a golf theme for my golf-passioned husband. He wouldn't put food on it BUT it is a much-loved mouse-mat. 

Sometimes a holiday becomes a tsunami of gifts, many which will be unused and/or discarded within weeks or months. Fortunately in our family most of the gifts become treasures creating their own memories.


 

No comments: