Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My mom is better

“Hello.” My step mom’s voice was clear, nothing like the weakened tone that greeted me last week at this time. I had been trying to get her for several days, which in itself is not unusual, but this time I had a nagging feeling something was wrong.

I was correct. She’d been hospitalized with the flu and pneumonia. She lives alone in a Florida retirement community, and the operative word is community. Her neighbors drove her to the hospital, visited her, and helped her out when she was back home.

One of the hardest things about being an ocean away is that I can’t help for short term emergencies.

Both my sister and I said we would fly there to take care of her, but she remained adamant (and she is 100 pounds of fighting adamant) to only come when she felt well so we could enjoy each more.

Tomorrow I will go to the travel agencies and ask about flights for later in the spring.

No comments: