Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's Dinner

Les Marrioner is a restaurant not far from the house, a place where my housemate has gone for years. It is in a large yellow stucco building with forest green trimmings and a green car of late 1940 early 1950 vintage always outside.

Having much to be happy about we decided it was a perfect place to spend Valentine’s Day not as lovers but as friends. Celebrating friendship is equally important. It was about the 12th time I had eaten there and my taste buds were primed for filet des perches.

Although we usually just sneak in, we made reservations. Had we not, we would have not been able to eat. They were booked solid.

Hearts of all sizes decorated the windows that are open in the summer leading to the terrace, which on this wintery night was sealed. The owner seated us next to the supplementary heater.

I had to give in to ketchup with my fries not mustard or mayonnaise for local customs and not vinegar for British customs. The waiter laughed and bought it. He switched to English. For all the times he has served us this is the first time he let on he spoke English.

So often our dealings with people are anonymous. This is especially true of service people.

This time we learned of his multi nationalities, his birthplace and how he had lived in London for years and years. He had come back to Switzerland to raise his children.

We were the first to arrive and the first to leave, happy in a good meal and the days events including the filet des perches and learning a bit more about a person who had an interesting life. Had we not asked we would have missed out.

2 comments:

bb said...

I think you have a very visceral engaging way of describing very simple things (like your day-to-day surroundings) that I really admire. I wish my writing came off like that. (I instead cheat and use pictures.) I also wish my writing was funnier.

BB

DL NELSON said...

Thank you so much for your comments. I use the blog as my warm up writing exercises.