Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Giving directions

My daughter claims she developed a sense of direction because she knew I had none and if she wanted to reach home she would have to remember the way. The realization came to her at four when lost on the way to a girl friend’s house that I had visited often, I followed the bus I knew passed her street pulling up and stopping each time it paused to let people on or off.

Some claim I can get lost in my apartment, which I take as a little cruel with only a small basis in reality.

Taking that into consideration, I do not understand why there is an aura that I know where I am going. No matter where I am people come up to me and ask me directions. It happened three times yesterday in Dublin in less than half a mile. Since I was unsure of where my hotel was and suspected that someone had moved it since I had left two hours before I was looking for someone knowledgeable so I could find myself. Maybe because I was in Dublin with Irish red hair, they might think I was local. In a way, I was able to help, but only because I had a map tucked in my pocket as we worked out not only their direction, but mine.

No comments: