Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Je suis presque une suissesse

I was terrified in opening the letter. But the news was FANTASTIC. I have been accepted for Swiss citizenship. The yaHOOOOOOOOOOOOO probably shook the capital of Bern and created a few waves in Lake Geneva.

In one of the many interviews I went through for the nationality, I said that changing nationality is a little like changing religion, you have to really want to and really believe.

I had many reasons, including respect for this country that has given me such a high quality of life in all areas, the way they vote on so many issues, the fact the country works more than it doesn’t and the belief that living in a country requires voting and giving back as a full participant in the society. Living here is my recent past, present and future.

What shocked me was when I woke up the next morning and for the first time in a long time I felt safe as an almost Suissesse (I have still to sing the national anthem when I take the oath), and I don’t feel safe as an American not from terrorists but from the American government who not only attacks other countries but is eating away at the financial well being of its own citizens as well as rapidly reducing civil liberties.

Hopefully sometime next month I will take the oath, get my identity card and passport. Of course there is that national anthem worry. I sing terribly, and thank goodness, my ability to sing was not part of the decision process. However, I will work hard to be a responsible citizen for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

Merc said...

Felicitations, mon amie. A really big bravo. I heard you all the way to Vienna.
Best,
Sylvia

Catherine Nelson-Pollard said...

And I heard you all the way from Nyon. Truly superb news which calls for a drink and a celebratory lunch perhsps with a dress code of red and white?
A bientot
Catherine