Wednesday, August 30, 2006

On voting in Switzerland

For years I have said my home isn’t my country and my country isn’t my home. Since I received notification I have been accepted for Swiss citizenship (I still have to take the oath and whisper the national anthem—if they hear me sing, they may revoke their earlier opinion) they are melding into each other.

This became even more real to me as I rode on the bus and saw advertisements for the next national election on an immigration issue. As holder of a Permis C I can now vote for the first time in local elections. Voting has always been important, starting with my family and going through adult hood in Boston, when our neighbor Kelly who worked the polls would demand to know why you didn't vote and the reason had better be good.

For years I have seen the issues on billboards for all types of issues that in other countries are left to legislators to decide.

Besides the immigration issue there is also a vote on how to grade school children.

I know I will need to study the issues to make an informed decision.

As I looked at the posters, I know I may actually be able to vote this time at all levels and if not this time, next time. It is a good feeling, a feeling of completeness that I have been missing, a feeling of pride. A feeling that my home and country are becoming one -- at last.

2 comments:

bb said...

Yes. Voting is important. I agree with the steps you are taking.

Victoria Wild said...

I agree too. Remember women died for us to have the right. I must take some steps to be able to do the same thing.