Monday, August 14, 2006

My farm

For years my building was one of the only ones on the street without flowers, but now that I spend more of the summer here, I bought bright blue pots in Spain as well as ceramic window boxes to place against the railing of the flat that has been tied up with inheritors for years (French inheritance laws are worth several blogs in themselves).


This year I planted begonias in all except one of the ceramic window boxes which has basil (I refer to this "farm" as my back forty, inches not acres). However, the begonias in the other ceramic box did not flourish, although they did in the blue pots flanking the blue door. From nowhere a grapevine appeared with miniature grapes. There won’t be enough for a harvest, but half of me wonders if I could produce half a thimble full of wine from the fruit.

Probably not, I would need to make my imaginary farmhouse real with a real vineyard. Afterall I can buy excellent wine within a few minutes walk.

No comments: