Saturday, September 07, 2013

Changlings and the Smithsonian

A high school friend and I were both born in Winchester Hospital at the same time. We joke that because his mother wanted a boy and gave birth to a girl and my mother wanted a girl and gave birth to a boy, we were switched by them so they both took home what they wanted.

We also joke that we are really brother and sister over our many similarities. As a good friend, he sends me "Reading Care Packages from Reading" full of articles that he think I might like (or annoy me as he tries to live up to a pesky brother role). Many are from the Smithsonian Magazine. Reading is the town where we grew up and ok, ok, sorry about the play on words. As they say, the devil made me do it.

It is always a happy day when one of his packages arrives.

The Smithsonian museum, I love. It was wonderful when I had reasons to be in DC to get lost in any of its buildings, although I suspect one could live there and never see everything. Also when I lived in the States I had a subscription to their magazine which I devoured cover to cover.

Thus when I was in the English Library in Geneva killing time yesterday and saw the above issue for 1CHF, I grabbed it. The article on Jefferson placing him as both a member of the future and a member of his time was almost so good, that I forgot to tell my friend, should be be preparing another Reading Care Package, that I have these.

Maybe I'll just email him the blog address to the changling or brother but definitely my friend.






No comments: