Friday, January 17, 2014

I'm becoming my parents

When I used to visit my folks in Florida it seemed certain things always happened.

1. People spent a lot of time shopping for peach towels at K-mart or for other bargains at similar stores.
2. People visited friends in the hospital or in nursing homes.
3. People talked about who was sick and dying.

Of course, I was also treated as a visiting princess with one aunt baking an apple pie, another taking me to lunch (I tried to avoid the K-Mart trips) and of course any time with my dad and stepmom was precious, except when my stepmom was wiping me out at gin rummy. She was little and sweet, but put a deck of cards near her and she became a shark.



Today I had coffee with three friends. Although sales at any store weren't discussed the conversation concentrated on...
  • A man who was in seemingly good health dropping dead
  • Another couple who came back from Asia because the man who rented their house died in the house
  • A friend who is dying of cancer.
  • Another friend who is fighting cancer
  • Still another friend who has a couple of broken bones
We are all in 60s and 70s. We are in good health. One walked the Way of St. James of Compostela no mean feat for anyone at any age.

I looked out the café window to make sure I hadn't been transported to Florida. Nary an alligator or palm tree in sight. Not even an over-sized car.

I like my age group, and the people who are regular Argelesians or summer people are wonderful but unlike Florida retirement communities I like being around people of all ages, nationalities and interests.

However, I suppose if some of my friends are in my age group, health problems and demise is normal. I just didn't realise it all those years ago when I was making the rounds of hospitals and nursing homes with my folks and listening to history of ailments. At the time I thought, I'll never become like that.

The arrogance of youth was rampant.

This sick/death thingie will get worse, I suppose, as we add days, weeks, months, years to our own lives. It's a reminder to enjoy, share, love while we're here.

I still will NOT buy peach towels at any store.



No comments: