Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Small world

It was time for my obligatory physical to determine if I'm still able to drive safely (I am despite Rick's threats to tell the doctor to fail me, although I don't take it personally--he just hates to ride with anyone else behind the wheel).

I've had the same doctor for the past couple of decades and he always makes time for a pleasant chat, asking me about  my activities and vice versa. From the beginning we spoke French.

About five years after my initial appointment and thru misc. cases of flu, etc., my neighbour, also his patient, said, how much she liked him and added, "He speaks such good English."

"WHAT?"

At the next appointment I said, "I never knew you spoke English."

"But your French is fine."

We've continued in French.

Today, I was his last appointment before lunch. We were chatting about his trip to Toronto to leave his daughter and his side visit to Niagara Falls.

"I bought a NY newspaper for the first time ever. I opened it and there you were," he said. He was referring to the AP article where I was quoted about FATCA. Several other people in various parts of the country have also commented that they've seen it, but I certainly didn't expect my doctor to have. 

We continued about that and other subjects both agreeing it was a small world.

No comments: