Friday, June 06, 2014

The sounds of silence

We had much to do on our last day before going South.

1. Drop bottles at the déchèterie.
2. Load up on cereal at Manora
3. Have lunch at an Italian restaurant
4. Go shoot a video of me reading from Murder in Geneva near where Michel Servetus was burned by Jean Calvin.
5. Go to the American Store to load up on junk food for Rick and Crisco for me (Barbara, apple pies are in your future).
6. Take photos of Scooby II by the Jet d'Eau.
7. Make a payment at UBS
8. (look at Alps and Jura--Rick had planned a special stop just to look at the beauty of it as a surprise)

We got into the car.

Rick turned the key.

The sounds of silence.

Our guess was the battery was dead. 

Our neighbour Jacques was more than happy to bring his car and jumper cables. Sparks flew but the car didn't start.

He told me a neighbour I didn't know had a garage and came home for lunch and he called him. I still dread using French on the telephone without my hands to reinforce my messages.

As Sonja, Jacques' wife and I were having coffee, we heard the engine turn over. The men must have missed something. Jacques cancelled the mechanic.

Rick let the car run and we off to complete our list not in silence but in laughter.

Rick's version in a duelling blog http://lovinglifeineurope.blogspot.fr/2014/06/at-mercy-of-electrical-jolt.html


No comments: