Sunday, June 08, 2014

When shopping is personal




The joys of food shopping in Argelès means I can stop at the butcher and get advice, chat with Elisabeth as we decide which veggies are the the best, buy bread from the boulangerie fresh from the oven and have it sliced or not. All of which I did. 

All the shops are within a few minutes walk of my home.

However, from time to time, I still need to stop into the local supermarket, or maybe supermarkette because it isn’t all that large...with Jean-Pierre and Babette retiring from their mini, mini, mini markette, there'll be more need to use the other. I always want to support my local friends more than any chain.

I had just a few items: milk, a mini bottle of wine for risotto, etc. so I went to the quickie line with my chariot.
 
“Madame, madame, no chariots there.” The customer in the next line was calling to me. “She (referring to the cashier whom I know along with her daughter and granddaughter,) didn’t know you were English.”
Seems I was in the panier only line.

The man was from New Caladonia, but is now living here and loves a chance to speak English. His son is just finishing first grade and is enjoying reading.

The cashier welcomed me back in French. Her daughter and granddaughter are both fine.

Shopping that is personal is doable.

No comments: