Friday, June 20, 2014

What I'm reading and rereading

Michael Hastings (1980-2013) novel is just out and covers the start of the Iraq War, something he covered. A satire and like most satires have a ring of truth. His sudden death conjured up for me thoughts of Karen Silkwood, although I've nothing to base it on. For no other reason anyone who has ever worked in a corporation and found stupidity on every level will find by reading this book that they weren't alone.

Also as the US is returning to Iraq, the realities of lying a population into war are especially poignant.

I'm rereading this wonderful book by Dinah Lee Küng, which was nominated for the Orange Prize. Imagine that you had a wonderful career and suddenly found yourself in a mountain Swiss village with your family, trying to write and being at odds with the culture. Then the long-dead Voltaire turns up in your house. Only you can see him and he becomes a friend despite using your credit card and laptop. Also great reading for anyone living or wanting to live cross-culturally.



2 comments:

Ginger Dawn...A Spice Below The Horizon said...

I have not heard of either author. I am so far behind with my reading. Maybe today will be a great day to bake and read! I will add both of these to my list.

DL NELSON said...

I recommend Dinah Lee Küng highly.