Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Touching history

History?

Boring past?

Well no.

History is what got us to today.

I've felt I touched history many times in my life. Here's a few:

1. When I stood at the tombs of Elizabeth I, Mary Tudor and Mary Queen of Scots in Westminster Abbey.
2. The battlefield of Manasses so calm not showing signs of the blood soaked fields of the Civil War
3. Seeing where George Washington slept (not a joke), including the bed he died in at Mt. Vernon. Looking at things he touched.

I could go on, but one of the highlights of last week was being where Rasputin (photo below) was murdered. I'd read about the Tsars and Tsarinas. Seeing their possession, where they walked, where they made decisions, was as if I'd been transported back to their time and place.

I'd read about Rasputin but to stand where he must have staggered out into the cold night poisoned and shot look at the canal he must have seen, walk the halls where his murderer (photo above) lived. That is touching history.


No comments: