Monday, December 27, 2021

Personal Food


 "To me, eating well is not just about what tastes good but the connections that are made through the food itself. I am hardly saying anything new by stating that our links to what we eat have practically disappeared beneath sheets of plastic wrap. But what are also disappearing are wonderful, vital human connections we're able to make when we buy something we love to eat from someone who loves to sell it who bought it from someone who loves to grow, catch or raise it is found in these relationships and they are very much a part of what solidifies a community.                                                                                                                                                                    Stanley Tucci: Taste: My Life Through Food

I read that paragraph early in the morning, still tucked in bed and reading. 

WOW WOW WOW!!!!

It said exactly why I go to my butcher, my baker and green grocer in both Collonge or Argelès rather than a supermarket for food. I also use the marchés in Corsier, Argelès or Ferney-Voltaire. At one point the local farmer delivered his veggies of choice (with a few no-nos that I had told him followed) every week but now we go to his stand on Fridays. 

What a pleasure to not be among the hordes pushing carts up and down aisles with thousands and thousands of things which seem ready to attack me. Anonymous armies of shoppers pushing and shoving.

I will admit there are some things that necessary to buy in supermarkets...toilet papers, etc. My husband does do most of that kind of shopping and he buys things differently than I would. Processed foods for example. And it is not always convenient to get freshly made mayonnaise. 

Still, I would hate to give up a conversation with the bee keeper about which honey would be best in a cake I was planning, or a recipe from the fish monger (bought on days Rick is playing golf--he doesn't eat fish if he can help it). 

And it helps that the vendors are all close by. My preference is not to do big shoppings just enough for one or two days. Food is less apt to be thrown away. Toilet paper is an exception and a few canned goods.

Years ago food shopping was a chore, something to get through as fast as possible. Now it is a life-enriching experience that will eventually feed my stomach but in the process feeds my senses and relationships.


How lovely to know the man who owns the olive trees, puts the nets to catch the fruit and carries the harvest to the co-op before selling his ware on the marché. I have a personal connection with the bounty every time I reach for the bottle to use in cooking.

 

 

No comments: