Monday, May 23, 2022

Baby Formula Questions

 


 I am not a pediatrician, scientist, or nutritionist.

I am not minimizing the needs of babies with special dietary problems.

When my daughter was born in the 1960s, breast feeding was just coming back in vogue as the best alternative, something that makes the most sense. Not all women can or want to and wet nurses are hard to find.

What I don't understand is that for hundreds of thousands of years all over the world, babies have been born and feed on substances other than the formula produced by four companies in the United States.

Yes, I know the mortality rate was higher, but I would guess for more reasons than lack of the formula. Sanitation, disease, lack of heating, eaten by wild animals, numerous causes that don't threaten most American infants today.

Depending where and when donkey's milk, cow's milk, diluted wheat, diluted malt were some of the substitutes used and are still used today in undeveloped countries.  And yes, some babies died.

In the early to mid 20th century cow's milk, karo and maybe some vitamins or minerals were added. Certainly not as convenient as popping open a can. My brother and I were fed that.

Here's where I question blind use of formula.

  • I used to love looking at old Time, Newsweek, Life, Look and women's magazines in general from the 30s-60s. For years there were cigarette ads with doctors saying __________cigarette was good for you.
  • A friend did a report on women's magazines articles on women working during and after WWII. Seems working women were a great idea during the war, but afterwards the joys of staying home was the way to go. Almost a day to night switch.
  • Stories of formula companies, which are almost a cartel, lobbying for reduced regulations, elimination of foreign competition.
  • Stock buybacks rather than safety repairs.
  • Firing of a whistleblower.
  • Blind pushing of things like HRT hormones or Valium, mainly to women, over the years.

As a parent, I've seen advice change over the years on many things. Some can be explained by new discoveries, but what if, commercial formula was not necessary for the majority of babies? What if it has been a money-making scheme. I won't deny popping a can is easier than mixing and sterilizing.

26 House Democrats are calling for an investigation into the shortages.


 

 

 



No comments: