Tuesday, May 24, 2022

The bridal shower

 


My father and stepmom said my cousins, aunt and uncle were going with us to Blimstrub's nightclub in Boston. I was excited. I'd always wanted to go.

I was living with my father and stepmom while waiting to join my bridegroom in Germany where he was in the 77th Army band.

I was just getting to know my father and stepmom. Because of my parents' divorce my father had not been apart of my life. Only when my mother tried to prevent my marriage did we reestablish a relationship.

My father explained on how Saturdays he made a big breakfast and the whole family cleaned the house. He also was making food, for a neighbor's party he said. He said neighbors helped each other out. A neighbor "returned" a 32-cup coffee pot. 

I was introduced to my aunt, uncle and two cousins, whom I'd not seen since I was in Kindergarten. I do remember picking blueberries with Marilyn, who announced that she needed to take a bath and preceded to set up for a lengthy stay in the bathroom. My aunt knocked on the door more than once, saying we should be leaving for Boston.

Then the doorbell started ringing, and suddenly aunts, uncles and more cousins filled the house --  people I'd never met. My father came from a big family who did lots of things together.

Marilyn had been marking time until there were more arrivals.

They had come to meet me via a bridal shower.

A ship to represent the U.S.S. America, on which I was scheduled to sail the following week, was covered with envelopes. All had congratulation cards and money.

For me, the money was a fortune.

In a way it was embarrassing. I would say "Thanks Butch and Agnes" and look around hoping I could identify them. The cousins gave smaller gifts. Later I realized I had missed lots of adventures with them as we grew as they tried to catch me up of 17 years of missed family life.

My mother had always called my father's family ignorant foreigners. The had moved to the states before the depression from Nova Scotia,. They had lived the American dream and made life even better for the next generation. I only wish I had captured their stories while they were still alive.

They were loving, funny, practical, and so many other positive things and they treated me as if I'd been with them throughout my life. By the night's end, I had names and faces together. I was swept into the warm relationships that I had missed. This was as as good if not a better than the money.

The neighbor's coffee maker was used. The food my father had prepared for the "neighbor" was eaten.  

I never did get to Blimstrub's. It burned down while I was in Germany and that's okay.

 

 


 

No comments: