Sunday, May 01, 2022

Meeting Jim

Decades ago when visiting the Minuteman National Park, I saw the gravestone of two unknown British soldiers. On later trips to the Park, I always stopped. I wondered who they were, what made them join the British forces, did their families wonder what had happened to them.

A couple of times, I tried to find out more thinking it would make a great novel.

My latest attempt was two years ago when I wrote the Park. Ranger Jim answered. I didn't know that it would be the start of a long correspondence where I could finally create a fictionalized version of the life of one of the soldiers. The official release of Lexington: Anatomy of a Novel was April 19, 2022 the anniversary of the "shot heard around the world." 


 

Without Ranger Jim, the book would never have been written. I would send off a question and if he didn't have the answer, he directed me to several historians that could and did. 

I watched several of the podcasts featuring Ranger Jim and others about various topics related to the American Revolution period. 

My husband once said it felt like Ranger Jim lived with us after I'd listened to many of his programs.

There would be periods, I would be writing, writing, writing -- then I needed a piece of vital information to stay true to the reality. I'd fire off an email. Ranger Jim always got back to me. Sometimes his information led to a different scene than I'd imagined. He also referred me to other historians, books and web sites that went deeper into the information I needed.

Google photos and memories of many trips to the Park did help in descriptions where my memory was shoddy.

All this went on during Covid when a trip to the battlefield was impossible. In fact, there were periods where a trip beyond a few kilometers from our French or Swiss homes was impossible thanks to shutdowns and quarantines. Crossing the Atlantic was a fantasy.

This past week we flew to the U.S. I wrote Ranger Jim to see if we could meet. He said, although he was teaching the day we could be there, he'd try and make a few minutes.

The Visitors Center was closed to the public until May 7th, although they had had a big event on the April 19th anniversary of the start of the American Revolution. We knocked and Ranger Jennifer answered. I explained why we were there and gave her a copy of the book. She agreed to contact Ranger Jim to see if there was a time we could meet with him.

Off we went to the Wayside Inn restaurant, which also played a part in my novel. The lobster roll was more than a replacement for the schrod, which they had run out of. With both foods, I knew I was back in my native New England. I wondered would I finally be able to meet Ranger Jim in person as I ate.

An e-mail from Ranger Jim arrived during our meal, He said that he'd be free at 4:30. Having come so far, I wasn't about to miss him. To pass the time we were able to enjoy the beautiful New England countryside, the stone walls, the fields, the architecture until about 3:30 when we parked by the Visitors Center and read from books which we had bought earlier in the day.

Then it was 4:30.

I found myself a bit nervous. Granted we'd been almost pen pals for a couple of years, but still he had no idea of how important he'd become to me and my work.

Another man let us in the building. When we explained he called Ranger Jim the man who had become my historical security blanket. I had often worried that he would see my name pop up on his emails and think, "Oh not, not her again."

And then the door opened and he was there with a big smile. Mostly in the videos, he was dressed in uniforms and clothes that were appropriate for 1775. Now he wore jeans.

 
We chatted in the Center's store, with its souvenirs and books. We were surrounded by the two flags and tankards. On the mantle were painted buildings on small pieces of  wood. Underneath the paint were scraps of the original North Bridge, the location of the first shot.

We shared our passion for history, a bit about our lives. I made sure I told him how much I appreciated his help. He told me he was surprised and moved to find the book dedicated to him. He also said he appreciated my questions.
 
We discussed that the soldiers were unknown, although Ranger Jim said they had names of some British soldiers who they might be.

Knowing he was probably tired from teaching new seasonal employees all day, I brought the meeting to a close although I could have talked to him for hours.

The meeting was a very special moment for me. He reinforced my appreciation of people who have a passion for what they do. We both agreed when you love what you do, it isn't work.
 
Our lives will probably never touch again, but mine is richer having had him on the other end of my computer for two years plus. As a writer, I know my work is not just from me but from all the experiences I have had and all the people I have met.


 





No comments: