Monday, October 17, 2022

Aberlady Graveyard

 

We were at the Duck hotel in Aberlady, Scotland. 

Rick was playing golf.

Although it was still windy, the sun was shining. It was leaf kicking weather. I decide to explore.

Graveyards  have always fascinated me. Graveyards are affiliated with a church. Cemeteries are not religiously connected. The older the graveyard, the more interesting.

Many of the gravestones were so old, whatever information about its tenants had long been blown away by the wind.

 Others seemed to be of mixed colored stone. I've long forgotten my geology from seventh grade.

There were a number of table like stones with a skull and bones. No information about the occupants below.


 


This was the only elaborately carved stone. I assume that the family who ordered it had more money than those that selected a flat piece of rock.

I walked to the rear of the graveyard through the shadow of the church. In the distance I could see the sea.

Graveyards have often provided names of my characters in different novels. I found local names in Insel Poel and in Argelès for Murder on Insel Poel and Murder in Argelès. The Aberlady graveyard was not helpful. One name that stuck out was Elsbeth who died in the 1800s, more because I had met an Elsbeth years ago and she was the only one. I am not planning on setting a novel in this part of Scotland in the 1800s.





No comments: