Monday, October 03, 2022

Flowers, Apps and Customer Service

  

The tourists are disappearing. 

Mondays many shops are closed in the village.

I had just done a wardrobe change over. We are heading for Scotland where it will be colder, than Geneva where it will be colder as well.

I needed file cards for the novel I'm working on. It helps to do notes on each chapter for reference and to easily switch chapters around if necessary.

A stop at L'Hostalet's terrace and a good cup of Yorkshire tea seemed necessary before starting to work. Sherlock was with me and we sat by the cat door to give him an advantage over the hotel feline that has murder in her heart whenever she sees him.

Someone in the music school across the was playing the piano.

I chatted with L who is a jill of all trades at l'Hostalet trades at the hotel and café. She is one the most smiley people I know. It doesn't matter is the terrace is overflowing or like today or just one like me today. She always makes one feel as if they are welcome. 

From time to time someone strolled by. Mostly it was deserted. Then two women came into the square, a red head and one with gray hair. Probably they were in the early sixties. They took pictures.

As they walked by,they said bonjour and showed me a photo of purple flowers. They asked if I knew the name.

My flower knowledge is limited to things like rose, carnation, iris, lilac, mimosa, violet. When I add flowers to anything I'm writing, I choose one of those.

They asked L, who said, "No, but I have a solution." L is totally bilingual. She went to get her phone. "I've an app." The app looks at something and tells you what it is. It worked. The flower's name was something I'd never heard of.   

The four of us chatted a bit about flowers and how easy it is to get information on just about anything. Not like the old days and going to a library to look at an Encyclopedia if you didn't have one at home or a neighbor who might be an expert.

The ladies moved on. L went back to work after once again going beyond ordinary service. I finished my tea. Sherlock did another check for the cat and I suspect he was hoped his positioning at the cat door kept her away. 

Back to writing and another reminder of the joys of village life.


 


No comments: