Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Inverness

 

Inverness by night. This is the view out of our BnB window at 4:30 a.m.

Every time I start to go out, it starts to rain. I can see by the trees bending over and a howl or two, it is windy. I am thrilled. After the heat of the summer which almost did me in, my BnB room is cozy. I've enough tea. I'm living my July and August fantasies.

My husband is off to a hickory golf tournament. Last night he described the challenge and fun of trying to hit a ball when the wind has much more control of the ball than the golfer.

I will make it a writing and reading day. There is no laundry to do, meals to cook, beds to make, dog to walk, people to meet, correspondence to deal with. There's the peace of me and my laptop. There is the sense of peace that I've sought, a gift in itself.

This is my 7th trip to Scotland. I love this country. After the golf tournament, Rick and I plan to visit Culloden Battlefield and Clava Cairns before going on to Aberlady and then Edinburgh's Story Festival. 

I saw Culloden once before in the pouring rain. There is something about the peace of a battlefield that makes one shudder when thinking of the violence and death that occurred there when about 14,500 soldiers between the two sides fought with both old and new weapons. It is a reminder of the futility of all wars when given enough time no one remembers why, no one remembers how many lives went unlived.

 

Outside my window there's the statue of Flora MacDonald, the Jacobite sympathizer who helped Prince Charles escape. It was the one thing I really wanted to see. It is not my photo. Today she's surrounded by construction workers who are renovating the castle behind her.

I need to add her to the book I'm working on. I want to find 365 amazing women, not the most famous ones, one for each day in the year.

I've thought of two scenes I want to add to my future novel Twins

Tonight Rick will either return with food or we will go out. If we eat in it will be fine. The room is cozy and I love its Scotch plaid rug and the pillow with the Scotch cow. We have a tiny Scotch Cow stuffed animal we named sCOWt as a souvenir of an earlier trip. If we go out it will be fine. I've already eaten a few of my Scotch favorites already.

 It's a good day. I'm so happy.






No comments: