Thursday, October 13, 2022

Irving's book The Last Chairlift

 


John Irving's new book The Last Chairlift took seven years to write. It's called a ghost story and a love story covering decades. He said in an interview it may be his last novel.

Although I've never met him, I've always felt a connection to Irving. We share an age. We've both lived in Exeter, New Hampshire. We are both writers although his success has exceeded mine too many times over to count.

I did my masters thesis at Glamorgan University in Wales concentrating on repeated symbolism in his early work. Bears, wrestling, Vienna, short people or people physically different, etc. 

We didn't have all that much more in common. I never wrestled, bears are bears, I'm short but not abnormally so. When Irving lived in Vienna did he eat the finger sandwiches, little sandwiches, served at Trzesniewski's like I have? I hope so.

I always have a hard time getting into his books. I start and stop, start and stop. Then something clicks. I can't put the book down. I will read in the bathroom, in bed, on the bus, train, plane until I finish. How he brings it together is wonderful.

Both of us were born in 1942 which means our writing lives and our lives in general are limited to how much more we can write. Time is not on our side no matter how many ideas we may have.

Irving's website https://john-irving.com/the-last-chairlift-by-john-irving/ and mine www.dlnelsonwriter.com 



No comments: