Thursday, October 27, 2022

Watching the Watcher

 

 

My husband and I have different tastes in movies and TV shows. Saying that, after a day of writing, seeing friends, and other chores and pleasures, we love sitting on the couch with Sherlock, perhaps with ice cream or popcorn and watching something.

I suspect part of the difference in taste is hormonal making me more in tune with chick flicks and him with guy flicks.


For example, I'm bored silly with chase scenes that go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and... My thought is get to the bloody story.

He caught me watching a Hallmark Christmas movie. I swear there is one on every day in France from October to Christmas. Admittedly, I watch one a year. I suspect there is a manual for Christmas movie screenwriters that at minute 29, for example, the couple to be will have their first misunderstandin .(we know the ending before it starts).-


On the other hand, I binge watched Suits. I love movies with a lot of characters that are given depth. I love in-depth stories. I loved Louis. I loved the character Donna and from time to time quote her saying, "I am the Donna."

All is not lost as we try and find common ground. Grace and Frankie, Seinfeld work for us. I can watch any golf themed movie, because of his love of them and I like to see him happy. Documentaries, history bio-movies. We both enjoyed Borgen, about a woman Danish prime minister. We never did find the final season of The Americans, a disappointment to both of us.

We like mysteries, although I lean to the period ones like Father Brown, but Agatha Christie in all its forms works for the two of us. Midsomer Murders work for both of us, which we watch in Geneva and in bed. The only problem is I usually fall asleep between the first and second murder and he fills me in on who else died and who was the killer.

Neither of us is right or wrong, but have different tastes with some overlapping.  Overlapping can lead to popcorn, ice cream and a three-way couch cuddle with our dog.

He brought up an excellent point after episode two of Watcher. He said there wasn't a really likeable character in the program. As a writer, this made me stop, think and rethink of all the books I've read and enjoyed and those that I've read and haven't enjoyed or stopped before I finished. A likeable character is as necessary as is conflict. 

Once again in my marriage, I've discovered something that I might not have had I stayed single. This is a good thing, a very good thing.


1 comment:

Jane Risdon said...

So interesting. I enjoyed Borgen and anything Agatha Christie except if Kenneth Branaugh is trying to act. He does my head in. Suchet is Poirot. Joan Hickson is Miss Marple or for a fun take, Dame Margaret Rutherford. I am bored with chase movies, car crashes, bangs, and violence. I prefer more subtle and thoughtful crime stories. I hope I write them. I try. Horrid characters are a turn off. There as to be something redeeming in all humans.