Tuesday, January 24, 2023

An Icicle as a lesson

 

Coming from New England, icicles were nothing unusual. From December through March they decorated our house, barn and trees. It was more a so what situation or at best a reminder to bundle up when going out.

Then this week, I saw a photo on Facebook of an icicle taken by Lars Deutschlaender, the husband of a woman whose friendship I value highly.  

Like most people I will ride by places regularly and only when I walk by those same places do I notice things that have been there for years. Things I might find interesting or given me pleasure.

As a writer and as a human I'm making an attempt to notice more. Too much time in my life has been wasted ignoring things that could enhance my life. It's one reason I won't leave my mobile phone on or look at it when there is anything else at all to do. It steals bits and pieces of my life when I do.

This icicle with its lines, almost bubbles, colors increased my happiness for the day. I thought of it again when I was in a flower shop and there was an purple orchid that looked as if it had been sprinkled with sugar. Maybe I would have noticed the sprinkled orchid if I hadn't seen the icicle photo, but I believe the photo had changed my awareness of things around me that day. 

If I turn the photo on its side, I can imagine it as a frozen landscape. I can create characters living in a cabin, putting logs on the fire. To date I haven't written a flash fiction piece about it, but it is on the list.

At the very least, that photo has made my eyes happy.

I think of the Judy Collins song, "Both Sides Now."

I’ve looked at love from both sides now
From give and take, and still somehow
It’s love’s illusions I recall
I really don’t know love at all

I listened to the song on YouTube adding to the pleasure of my day. Again I thanked the icicle. 

I really don't know icicles at all, but now I know them a bit more, thanks to one photo.

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

Lovely, Donnalane. I also try to notice more when I walk around. Luckily, I have nothing on my phone except text messages and phone numbers, so I’m saved the phone obsession temptation.