Saturday, January 07, 2023

Jewels in my ear

 

 


"You have crystals in your ear," a doctor explained.

I had been having dizzy spells after a fall. When I turned my head, the world would become a carousel.

I was thinking that things like diamond and emerald flakes were running around my ear canals.

Research should me that the crystals (otoconia) are made of calcium not precious stone pieces. They’ll shift from either one or both of the otolith organs of the inner ear. From there, they fall into one of the semicircular canals, disrupting the flow of liquid in the canal leading to vertigo.

Then after about three weeks of being very careful how I moved my head, the vertigo was gone. Those crystals must have gone home because I had not done anything but be careful how I moved.

Not so fast. Wednesday night I turned my head in bed and whoops, the entire room moved. This time it didn't go away in a few seconds. When I walked, I felt as if I had drunk too much.

My husband, who had been wonderful in helping me cope, took action. His attention renewed his title of helicopter husband throughout. He went on the web and found an exercise that would send that darned crystal back from whence it came. He asked if I wanted to try it.

Although I didn't give it much hope, I followed his directions as he followed step-by-step the video. 

I sat up. 

The paintings stayed in place on the wall, the ceiling lights were stationary. So far the rest of the day has been exactly like I felt before my fall, before my vertigo.

Happiness is not being dizzy. 

Crystals should be in jewelry.

No comments: