Sunday, January 29, 2023

Shopping Styles

                                     

Before you read this, please be aware how grateful I am that Rick does most of the grocery store shopping when we are in France and when we are in Switzerland.

versus

He buys more from a grocery store than I do. I try to get almost everything we need from the baker, butcher (no candlestick maker) and green grocer. 

Canned goods... I would keep a couple of canned tomatoes on hand maybe  with a couple cans of corn and peas. Everything else I would prefer to buy fresh. Daily is easy in France but needs a little planning in Geneva. We do need some products from the grocery store such as bottled herbs and spices such as cinnamon.

Meats...direct from the butcher. They wrap the meat in paper not plastic. Some will even discuss recipes. They remember what I like too. We have two we use in France, one Muslim, one not. In Switzerland our butcher's shop was closed for construction, but he should be reopening soon. 

Bakery...I want to know my bread was in the oven shortly before I walk into the bakery. There is an exception of hamburger rolls. Pita bread when I can find it is wonderful. One bakery in Switzerland has chestnut bread and another at the train station a sweet bread that reminds me of the bread I used to find in Providence, Rhode Island. No, I didn't drive from Boston just to buy it, but always bought it when I was in Providence.

And speaking of plastic...I try to buy nothing in plastic, almost impossible. In most cases I would rather do without. If I have to put veggies in a plastic bag, I try and use one bag and put the price tags on that one bag. It doesn't work all the time and I have no choice. 

Once when a cashier said I should have a separate bag for each veggie, I lectured her on the damage plastic was doing around the world. She rang up the tags. 

And yes, I know the one bag policy won't save the planet. In some Swiss supermarkets they plastic wrap the veggies including bananas that Mother Nature has already wrapped. Just one more reason to use the green grocer.

Price...in the supermarket I compare prices but the cheapest is not always the best. Best quality for money. Probably the small green grocer and butcher are more expensive, but I'm supporting my community.

Ingredients...I read the labels for additives. If it is a frequently bought product I know them and don't bother.

Cheese...we have several cheese dealers who measure the exact amount we want of a great variety. Swiss or French cheeses are fantastic and I have yet to find one I don't like.

Olives...I used to buy them more often, but Joël our olive dealer is my first choice when I do. He is also the grower and processor. The same with olive oil that I can buy in jugs large enough that if one was filled with gas for the car we could go at least 100 kilometers. We need to bring a jug from France to Switzerland next trip.

Social buying...There are companies who are bad citizens. I am a social buyer and want to know that the manufacturer is responsible to its employees and the planet. My not buying something won't change them, but I won't feel guilty that I'm hurting others. And I will admit if I really adore, really, really adore, I put my social leanings aside,

Products like ketchup, mayonnaise, sugar, flour, spices (if the marché doesn't have a stand with a good selection) soft drinks,etc. need our chain grocery store.

Rick always brings home a plethora (love that word) of cookies, pretzels, chips etc. In the past I've bought maybe one and eat sparingly. When it is gone, I'll buy another. I will admit if it is in the house, it is harder for me to limit my nibbling. If I see him eating it, my will power is gone like a feather in a hurricane.

It's not just weight control, but the enjoyment is greater when it is special. I do love the surprise of which cookie Rick brings me with my morning tea. I never claimed to be consistent.

Soaps, shampoos...I try to avoid anything in plastic. Sometimes it is impossible. 

If we shop at La Halle de Rive and buy lasagna, Chinese food, meat, cheese, etc., they use plastic containers. I suppose I could bring my own, but buying different meals for Rick and me is usually a last minute decision. 

One stand owner of Mideastern delights knows Rick from his frequent stops when he was studying French at the school across the street. Last time thru, he gave me a rice-filled grape leaf. Yum.

In the context of our marriage, our shopping style variations doesn't register on any scale of importance. More often it is something to laugh about.


No comments: