Saturday, January 28, 2023

Life as a lucky accident

Accidents can be lucky. Not the kind that leaves one hurt or dying, but those things that are totally unexpected and creates good things.

To find a job in Europe I sent over 800 CVs or resumes.

  • I  flew to France to get want ads in those pre-internet days. 
  • I scoured directories for names of PR, Marketing Directors and sent my CV.
  • I subscribed to a help wanted newsletter for France.
  • I handwrote the French ones as that was the preferred method.
  • I went to Harvard Square for the International Herald Tribune on the day they posted want ads.
  • I contacted overseas members of the International Association of Business Communicators.

Then in IHT I saw an ad for a person who spoke German and French and knew Digital Equipment Corp. My German was weak, my French limited, but I had worked with Digital for years. The job was in Switzerland. 

I sent a fax and two months later I was working in Switzerland, a country I was told was impossible to get a work permit. Lucky accident I saw the ad and didn't believe what I'd been told about the impossibility of getting a Swiss permit.

In 2006 I became Swiss.  Today I read an article about the best countries to live in. https://studyfinds.org/best-countries-in-the-world/ Switzerland was number one.

"Switzerland is a small country in central Europe known for being one of the wealthiest and most scenic countries in the world. Their economy is one of the best. “Switzerland has low unemployment, a skilled labor force and one of the highest gross domestic products per capita in the world, according to the CIA World Factbook,” writes U.S. News. “The country’s strong economy is powered by low corporate tax rates, a highly-developed service sector led by financial services and a high-tech manufacturing industry.

Switzerland is a wonderland of snowy mountains, flowery fields, lakes, and other picturesque landscapes. “Crammed between the ancient regions of France, Germany, and Italy, Switzerland is a natural wonder made up of mountains, lakes, and medieval landmarks. Across the board, and especially in security, Switzerland scores top marks in citizen contentment,” says World Atlas.

“The people of Switzerland enjoy impressive health, including long life expectancies (82 years for males and 85.9 for females) and a relative lack of fatal diseases,” notes World Population Review. “While Switzerland’s cost of living is high, so too is its overall standard of living.”

And I had ended up there by accident because of one CV. Before that Switzerland was the photo on the jigsaw puzzles I did  as a child, not a place I would ever live.

My lucky accident holds in flat finding. I'd heard too many horror stories about finding flats in Geneva with the REGIS, huge agencies dominating the rental market. In a market with too many applicants for each availability can be a long-term nightmare.

In a free newspaper I saw an ad for a flat. I called. "You can speak English," The woman said. From 1993 it led to a flat, later sharing a house and sharing a friendship I hope is forever.

When marrying, I needed a place for my husband and myself. We had rented a BnB from a Swiss/American for a couple of nights. We asked about making it permanent. That was in 2015. It was a wonderful place complete with garden and lovely landlords. Only because they are downsizing in retirement and selling their house were we once again faced with the dreaded REGIS. 

Then a friend gave us information that put us in contact with a house owner who had a separate flat on their property. We talked about what we wanted, but never expected to duplicate what we had now. We saw the flat and will move in March 1. Again we escaped the dreaded REGIS with another lucky accident. 

There were other lucky accidents. I met my husband in Missouri at a conference in the late 70s. Of course we didn't get together until 2012 after losing contact for several decades. He found me through modern technology and another conference that brought him to Geneva.

It's finding Sherlock, our male puppy, at a rescue center when we were looking for an older dog for someone else.

We do try to plan our lives but remain open to the unexpected. A friend's favorite saying, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." I may not be a believer, but if there's a deity, he must be sore from laughing at me.



 

 


No comments: