Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My fourth no buy month


This month my intention to buy nothing material, not a book, not a sock didn't go as well as last month where I only bought a mop at 2 Euros. I consoled myself that I said I could replace stuff. Imagine if the innards of my toilet went yet again (French toilets leave much to be desired) and I had to wait eight months to flush.
The computer needed replacing. A writer can't be without a computer.
But today I plunked down 1500 Euros for a car. Those that know me will say "She bought a car??????? She hates cars. She thinks everytime they move they are killing the planet."
Well in Argeles I share a car with a friend. We don't drive much between 300-500 Kilometres a year. I mean sometimes one tank of gas lasts nine months. But the car, which was over 20 years old, gave up.
The garage had this car, my friend didn't have the money, I did. Therefore I bought the car, BUT I gave it to her. It is in her name, it is her car.
Technically, I never said I wouldn't buy gifts for others, so I can consider it either a replacement or a gift.
Thank God I don't own a car. I would consider myself a terrible failure if I couldn't figure out how to live without one. At least it gets good mileage, a tiny, tiny, tiny consolation to my participation in planet murder.

2 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

I'm shocked!!! Since you're on a spending spree, want a hamster?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! How wonderful! Freedom is to do and to undo it! A friend gave me a car once. No one else could understand it. GAVE you a CAR? It was a wonderful gift.