Sunday, April 27, 2008

Today was the day.

COCA COLA
Tired of being rushed to the hospital with sirens blaring, tired of having every heart test ever devised to be told my heart was strong and healthy, I swallowed the miniature camera to allow a good view of my innards last January. My problem was finally diagnosed as a spastic esophagus. I promptly named the tube E. Sophie Gus, to put it into context.
A number of things were advised.
1. An Alkaline diet. Check...easy to do, the things on it mainly veggies and fruits which already formed a good 80-90% of my diet.
2. More exercise. Check. Just walk more, although I already walked whenever I could.
3. No bubbly water. Check. It was only recently I learned to like it at all.
4. Lose five kilo. Check...cut back on sweets combined with more exercise.
5. No Coca-Cola...oops.
Since I was a child, Coke has been my beverage of choice. My mother alloted three wonderful bottles out of a six pack to my brother and I. As an adult there were no limitations. I drank it for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and inbetween. When my GYN told me to lose weight, I stopped bringing it home and confined my self to one a week. Eight pounds disappeared. But in the last year I was drinking a Coke each time I ate out and I eat out a lot. Dommage.
Never having another Coke is just too depressing, but rolling around on the floor in agony, isn't much fun either, so I have limited myself to one Coke a month and today was the day.
Because I had two editions of my newsletter to get out and because I was alone in the house I decided to walk to the next village (exercise) to one of my housemates and my favourite eating haunts rather than cook. Thus with my salmon in chive sauce and a five veggie salad I had my monthly Coke. I took little swallows letting the drink swirl in my mouth like the best brandy. Feeling virtuous I did leave a quarter of the bottle.
Then I walked home enjoying the snowy Alps on my right, the Jura with its filagree of melting snow on my right, the newly-leafed trees, the apple, cherry and lilac trees in full bloom and the pink, white, yellow, lilac and purple wild flowers in the fields not yet under cultivation. I am content three kilos have disappeared.
Only 30 days to go to my next Coke...

No comments: