Monday, June 01, 2020

Toblerone:war and candy


In exploring Switzerland last week, my husband Rick saw his first military Toblerone. He loves to explore just about anything and every thing, which is just another reason I love him.

The 2,700 9 ton concrete blocks were part of an anti-tank WWII line of defense mostly along the border. Rather than dismantle them, many have become walking trails.

The name came from the Swiss candy created by Emil Baumann and Theordore Tobler in 1908. It was originally made of milk chocolate with nougat, almonds and honey. It's shape and packaging is unique and constant.

Allegedly, the shape was inspired by the Swiss Alps. The Matterhorn is pictured on the wrapper.

It is not one of my favorite candies, but RB2, with whom I shared the company apartment in the early 1990s loved it.

One night, my Japanese Chin Albert was really weird. Usually lethargic he was literally bouncing off the walls.

RB2 was late getting home that night. I was in my room not sleeping as Albert continued his agitation. RB2 knocked at my door.

"How are the dogs?" he asked.

"Amadeus is fine, Albert is hyper. Why?"

"I had a giant Toblerone in my room. It's gone. You didn't..."

"No, I didn't. Is it all gone?

"Some of the paper is left."

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Albert did not die. He didn't even vomit. He just kept running and running until exhausted he slept. The next day he was sleepy.


No comments: