Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Disappointment, Relief, Concern


                                                                    Château de Nyon

Disappointment

I looked at the email and felt disappointed. The farewell apero at the Château de Nyon for a friend moving back to the UK has been cancelled. If one lives in Geneva, it is normal to have people come and go.

My writer friend had been here for 19 years much longer than most. We were ladies who lunched when we could co-ordinate our schedules, shared workshops and film festivals never mind Facebook postings, and occasional get together and emails. Together we visited interesting places. She showed me Richard Burton's grave after one of our chat-filled meals for example.

Not only do I like this woman, I have great respect for her as a writer, mother, liver of life. No matter what country where she's been plunked down, she has built a life.

I knew at a farewell gathering I would have little chance to talk with her. As hostess she would have been trying to talk to everyone.

I suspected many of the guests would have been writers and friends that we both spent time with and care about. A missed opportunity to reconnect.

Relief

I had worried about what I would wear. Not the dress or shoes, but should I wear a mask, visor or risk being close to other people. My dusty rose dress was ready.

About one in ten Genevans wear masks against the virus. At the same time stores have sanitizers and limits on people inside enforced strictly or loosely. My dentist allows 15 minutes between patients to sterilize his entire premises.

My husband and I carry our masks, putting them on when we get closer to people. We are wrinklies, those in the age group that are most at risk. And even if Switzerland has done relatively well in containment of the virus, the danger continues on a low level.

The cancellation eliminated the worry.

Concern

More important is concern about why the apero was cancelled. My friend's husband is facing surgery, something not planned for in their move.

Future

Over the years, I have both lost and kept contact with the come-and-go people who became friends. I suspect that between our trips to Scotland near enough to the border to where my friend will live, we might see each other there. She will maintain a second home in the Valais and again if we can co-ordinate our schedules there will be catch-up meetings.

Plunked down in the country of her birth, but where she hasn't lived for decades, my friend will build a new life. The people she will meet will benefit from her warmth, talent and personality.

Some people in Geneva do not want to make friends with internationals because they will lose them when they move onto their next assignment.

I have never felt that way.

The pleasures of the time shared are worth the separation. Why give up X years of sharing against a loss. Nothing takes away from those memories of X years.

With my friend there are not just memories but the hope of future memories.





No comments: