Monday, June 22, 2020

Father's Day Memories


This Father's Day brought back many memories of my Dad, whom I called Jimmy.

He was from a big family. In adulthood the brothers and sisters didn't just get together for big holidays, but they visited back and forth. There was a lot of teasing.

Jimmy was the only sibling that had not been made a grandparent and he teased his siblings unmercifully about how they were old because they had grandchildren and he was still young because he didn't. He was not the baby of the family, but that didn't matter.

My Aunt Agnes took me aside one day and said, "When you get pregnant can you tell us first?"

My ex and I did just that and we planned a surprise Grandpa party at my home for my father. My stepmother, who was also a grandmother, was in on it.

The day arrived as did my aunts and uncles before my father. When my stepmom led him in, everyone yelled surprise. He couldn't figure out at first why because the date wasn't near any anniversary or birthday.

He opened his now-you're-old-too-grandpa presents such as Geritol, a cane and the stork shown in the photo.

Jimmy was forced to find new subjects to tease his brothers and sisters about. He had no trouble doing so.




No comments: